Saturday, May 30, 2009

Filipino Language & Other Philippine Languages on Channel 18


A PHOTO W/ MY WIFE, ANGIE, & JANNELLE SO (May 27,2009)

What is a Filipino language? This was one of the questions that Jannelle So, the beautiful host of Channel 18's Kababayan L.A., asked in her email couple of days ago, and she wanted it discuss in one of her Pre-Independence Day programs.

Apparently, some of our kababayans here in the U.S. has been suggesting that they would like her to speak in Filipino, since her program is specifically catering to the Filipino community. But is there really a Filipino language? If she would speak plain Tagalog (Filipino (?)) in the program, would she not alienate some Filipinos or Filipino-Americans who are non-native Tagalog speakers?

I was Jannelle's guest on May 27th to promote my two published books, KOILAWAN and PRAISING ALL SEASONS LONG, and my experimental performance poetry, Hey-Dasang. I probably have done pretty well that day, despite my thick Tagalog accent, that she expressed, after the show, her plan to invite me again. And I wasn't surprised when I received her email inviting me to guest on June 8th.

So, I would like to invite you all to watch Channel 18's Kababayan L.A. from 4:30 to 5:00 p.m. on June 8th. Besides me, Jannelle also has invited a linguist. Well, I am not a linguist. I am a sociologist with a modest research experiences in ethnology and linguistics.

I believe this discussion on Filipino, as a language, is a "first" without the presence of Filipino language planners, academicians, and politicians. Hence, I can assure you all that we will be taking up the language issue head-on and free of bias.

No comments: