Saturday, May 9, 2009

ON L.A SKID ROW: Homeless People is Worth My Time

I have been hearing on the radio and seeing on TV the Skid Row of Los Angeles. However, I never have seen it first-hand. Living in Pasadena, a very progressive suburbian city of Los Angeles county, yet haven't gone to Skid Row? That's ludicrous!

Call me hypocrite! Label me so insincere to the academic discipline that I spent so much time on. What happened?

The news about Skid Row gave creeps and chills; too risky for me to dare. I thought that those count of 84,000 homeless people in Los Angeles county, many of them are in Skid Row, were scarier than living and interacting with the Ata Manobo tribe of so. Philippines, who were considered by the early Philippine historian as the fiercest warriors of Mindanao. I was so intimidated.

Watch this clip from You Tube and see what I mean.



Nevertheless, while I started brainstorming on my first novel, Skewed Triad; No More: The Novel, I thought that Skid Row would be an excellent setting for a badly disfigured Filipino-American woman to regain completely her self-confidence and self-worth. Consequently, I mustered courage to visit and observe the "Third World" of Los Angeles,The Skid Row.

The traffic at the freeway was heavy that Thursday morning, so I decided to take the Metro train, Gold line. Pasadena to Union Station, the main hub, was only half an hour ride. At the Union Station, I walked two stairs down to take a subway Metro that took me to Pershing Square right at the Los Angeles financial center.

Believe me, just three blocks from Pershing Square, I already smelled the stink of a slum area, saw the roguishness of many untidy street people, and felt that I was rooted off the great city, despite those tall buildings. I slowed down starting to observe. Many were standing and talking in the street, especially near the buildings of non-profit organizations serving three-square meals a day and offering home and shelter to fortunate homeless families and individuals. Some people were yelling at each other; a few were walking erratically. Others were involved in some transaction of some sort.

I continued my walk for a few more blocks and I felt I was one of them. The smell became normal; the sight became ordinary, yet strange. I started to empathize with these less fortunate. I began to think of doing some volunteering in one of the soup kitchens. I went inside the building of Union Rescue Mission. After a talk with a Volunteer Supervisor, I decided to be a server at lunch time on Mondays and Fridays. Join me in this adventure at Skid Row in my next blogs.

5 comments:

Niko said...

This is interesting. Back here, there is still this misconception that poverty does not exist in the US. The reality is that in some places, things are similar, if not worse, than some areas here in the Philippines.
On the other hand, there is also the misconception that since the Philippines is a third world country, everybody lives in the slums.
I'm looking forward to the next blog entry. Regards sa tanan!

GALI Ed Writes said...

You're absolutely right, Niko. Poverty exist everywhere. In fact, I haven't seen such thing like "Skid Row" in the Philippines. Those in Tondo are more fortunate for they have shanties for shelter. Well, we also have people who sleeps on cardboards during the night, but it's not a multitude.

GALI Ed Writes said...

This was sent to me through my gmail.

What we do in the next few minutes could help determine the future of a precious life. ?Sometimes it only takes "pocket change" to help a desperate creature of God but,,,?
No one in the western world is willing to recognize the truth about the skid row. ?Thank you for spending your time with them. ?I am honored to publish your article on "Skid Row" next issue. ?My heart goes out with yours.

Cecilia, Editor-in-Chief?

GALI Ed Writes said...

A friend, who is a retired Asst. Principal sent me this mail.

I have actually been down there and to Union Rescue Mission. It has been a long time. Thanks for the reminder that I really do need to get there again. Kudos to you for volunteering to do that. Looking foward to your adventure blogs.

GALI Ed Writes said...

A Texan friend sent me this email.

EDMUND YOU HAVE THE HEART OF JERIMIAH..GOD WILL BLESS YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND YOUR VOLUNTEERING..I HAVE WORKED IN MANY NURSHING HOMES..I TOO HAVE A SOFT HEART..AND THERE ARE SO MANY YOU CAN HELP..SO MANY BEYONG HELP..SO MANY THAT NEED HELP..HELEN KELLER ONCE SAID ..THAT KINDNESS..IS A LANGUAGE EVERYONE UNDERSTAND..KUDOS AND GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR BRAVERY AND KINDNESS..EARLENE