Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rehabilitating Incarcerated Men: A Mismatch of Expectation?

Hey guys,

I am posting one of my early poems, which reflects the concern of almost all incarcerated me whom I talked with, while I was a volunteer-in-training at the Mark Stiles Unit in Beaumont, Texas.

THE CAGE AND I

The big cage chained arms were gently opened
Releasing learned bird for a crisp, fresh air
Expecting trees with welcoming spirits
Hoping acceptance;forgetting the past.

'The big cage gave me opportunities,'
Said one, 'I realized my immorality!'
Repented and treated, while at the pen,
Ready to enjoy freedom with the sage.

Indeed, for a short time, I enjoyed liberty
Soaring up the sky, chirping good old songs.
Climate changed, my spirit gloomed!
Freedom wasn't good; the cage I now longed.

Flying 'round the forest looking for a tree
To understand me. All now abhor me.
Forget-me-not closed itself completely.
All I thought before, she still needs me.

Heart yearnings for a better tomorrow
Like forget-me-not, leaves curled, became hollow.
Distance myself even to my fellow swallows..
In solitude, ended up crying in the meadow.

Comfortable niche was hard to find
Skills learned at the cage, unappealing.
No more free banana; no one's providing.
I ended up flying from tree to tree maligned.

Hunger took its toll consequently;
Dreams of the cage coming relentlessly.
Thoughts of abundant food, it pushed me...
Hit again a tree to go back in rapidly.

The big cage is surely my place to be.
Limiting, but I'm feed abundantly.
Freedom outside isn't nectar or a tea.
Trees don't want me. Please don't blame me.

(c)2007 edmund melig industan

I will never forget that day when a caucasian guy in his 40s, who's soon to be released. He tightly held my hand before I prayed for him. Then, he said," Please keep remembering me. There are times that I am afraid to think that soon I will be free. I don't know how the outside world would accept me. I am afraid that I won't survive. I learned more livelihood skills while here; however, I am afraid that nobody would give me a chance to use it and better myself."

Now, what's wrong with such feeling from a tough guy?

With rehabilitation as the goal, the American criminal justice system has been providing educational services and opportunities to the incarcerated men. Some even received their associate and baccalaureate degrees while at the pen. Don't you think there is a mismatch with what the justice system has been extending to rehabilitate those in the pen and the society's treatment with those, who has been out of the pen?

2 comments:

GALI Ed Writes said...

Here's an excellent comment from So. Africa, which was sent to me through my gmail. Hope to get more feedbacks, any feedback as long as it is related to the topic, from the reader. Thanks, guys.

"I presume the definition of true freedom is personal, if someone witnesses the highest level of spiritual expression while in cell and yet is ultimately afraid of his date of release into the outside world, then the world is no longer free but a true prison. If a man could suddenly become reflective, grow and re-define his destiny while incarcerated and yet he is unsure of what the outside world has to offer him for his new identity then something is wrong with our world of sanity.
The outside world is so large that new converts from incarcerations are so scared of where to start from or perhaps who will identity them.It is so wide and highly competitive that people may not look at you twice to give you a nod of approval that you are on the right track which in a way gives you certain confidence that you will be great one day. You think someone cares? No one cares, we are too busy to sort ourselves out than to spend our energy celebrating an ex-convict with new positive energy, no one would allow anyone ( especially freshers from prison ) to slow him down.That's the reality in our world of sanity.The incarceration is just an aspect of truth, the reality to sort yourself in the hostile world is the real truth.

GALI Ed Writes said...

Another comment was sent to my email. This one came from the Philippines:

Ganoon pala sa US masmasarap pala ang buhay sa kulungan, punta na lang ako a\dyan at magpakulong para libre lahat. Yes hehere in the Philippines kakawang mga filipino na nasa kulungan ang pagkain parang baboy...

(Free Translation: So that's what happens in the US: Life in prison is better. I might go there and be incarcerated so that everything is free. Yes, incarcerated Filipinos are so pitiful. The food served to them is good for the swine.)