Saturday, April 4, 2009

OH, IT'S LENT SEASON

Hi guys,

A friend sent his apology over the phone on Monday morning. He told me that as much as he would like to express his thoughts about my "Joking-Up, Joking-Down" blog, he would rather not. I asked him the reason. He told me, "It's Lent Season!" Time to remember the death of Christ. Time not to create controversy and hate."

My bad! I never thought that my last week's blog would send a wrong signal. Nevertheless, I know where my friend is coming from. Using Carlos Mencia's humor on the Filipinos created a "red signal". The truth is that I never plan to stir controversy and hate. In fact, my line of thought was socially correct. Sorry guys. I will bring the subject on "Joking-Up, Joking-Down" some other time.

Anyways, my friend is absolutely right. This is Lent Season. In fact, this is Triumphal Entry weekend. Tomorrow is Palm Sunday...the Day of Acclaim...the beginning of the "week that changed the world" also known as Passion Week. Most will be recollecting how Jesus, the Messiah, entered Jerusalem on a humble beast of burden, albeit an animal of peace.

Unlike Caesar or Alexander the Great, who had triumphal entries to cities with 1,000 lancers on horseback, followed by 2,000 trumpeters, 1,000 swordsmen, 30,000 foot soldiers and another 1,000 trumpeters behind, to proclaim his greatness and power; Jesus, the Messiah, entered Jerusalem on a humble donkey. There were no trumpeters, soldiers and horsemen, just a crowd of followers waving palm branches and laying their garments on the Jesus' path.

At Lake Avenue Church, the Sanctuary Choir will be singing "Lift Up Your Heads, O Ye Gates" and an oratorio,"Let your Eye Be to the Lord". Then, on Holy Friday, a mini-concert will be held. We, the Sanctuary Choir, will be singing "Behold the Lamb of God ( from Handel's Messiah), "Surely He hath Borne our Griefs" (another some from Handel's Messiah),and four(4) other songs. The Sanctuary orchestra will be accompanying us.

Everyone is welcomed. It's free. So, if you're near Pasadena, California, come join us on Friday night, 7:30 pm. Lake Avenue Church members have been advised to park at Gateway parking across I-210 freeway, so that guests can park at the church parking area.

See you on Friday, then.


NOTE: My gift book, PRAISING ALL SEASONS LONG, can now be ordered on Borders.com. It still can be purchased at Target, Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, and Comfort Publishing online store. To those who already have bought their copies, 'THANK YOU VERY MUCH."

No comments: